[Mailman-Users] Spam of sorts

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Mar 27 19:12:58 CEST 2007

Dave Foran wrote:

>So, is this "legal" in the sense of Mailman on the "General options page
>
>Example
>host_name (general): Host name this list prefers for email.   Railnet.org
>
>To also add  nshore.org  so that both valid domain names are there.
>
>host_name (general): Host name this list prefers for email.  Railnet.org,
>nshore.org

I didn't see this answered in the other replies in this thread.

No it is not legal. It needs to be a single host name which is the name
which will be exposed in email addresses generated by mailman. I.e.,
Mailman will advertise the list posting address as listname at host_name,
the request address as listname-request at host_name, etc, so it should
be the single host name you prefer to use for the list.

Mailman also sends certain owner notices to listname-owner at host_name,
and it expects to receive those back as messages for the 'owner' which
it resends to the actual owners and moderators. Thus, host_name must
also be a host that the outgoing MTA knows how to route back to
Mailman.