[Mailman-Users] Counting messages that went to postfix queue

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Wed May 2 04:50:36 CEST 2007

D G Teed wrote:

>Due to the previous problem with majordomo2 losing about 9% of
>email (never sent to postfix, on same server) in the mail list,
>we'd like to verify that the number of emails that were attempted to be
>delivered equals the number from list_members command.

Look at the entry in Mailman's smtp log which will tell you how man
total recipients there wore for each sent message.

>I've tried finding the message queue IDs which were used
>and grep QueueID maillog | wc but this seems difficult
>to do since some reappear again in the logs, which were initially
>bounces.

If you mean Message-Id:, that's in the smtp log entry. If you mean the
MTA's IDs, they would not normally be found anywhere in Mailman's
logs, and there could be more than one for a single post because a
single post may or may not be sent in a single smtp transaction
depending on Mailman settings and number of recipients.

>I also tried pflogsumm and looked at those stats.  At first I thought
>the message sizes and multiples of that message size going to
>different domains would be a key, but it seems to be inaccurate.
>
>I don't have any indications that anyone in our pilot list was lost,
>but we just need a method to account for the reliability.

If you want to know what Mailman thinks, if there are no entries in
Mailman's smtp-failure log, the number of recips in the smtp log entry
is the number of recipients given to the MTA. You can believe this
number or not, but I know of no case in which it is wrong.

If you want to know what the MTA did with these recipients and whether
or not it lost any, that is not a Mailman question.