[Mailman-Users] Mailman Splitting Subject

Stephen J. Turnbull turnbull at sk.tsukuba.ac.jp
Fri May 25 16:04:48 CEST 2007

Lloyd F. Tennison writes:

 > I saw that, but it is not really an answer as te problem is that it
 > is inserting a TAB, not whitespace, and that is what is causing the
 > problem.  A carriage return and spaces would be fine. The tab is
 > what most clients cannot handle.

Carl's reply notwithstanding, Barry considers this "something we
should do something about".

It's almost a trivial patch; in the email/Generator.py file find the
keyword argument continuation_ws='\t' to the Header initialization and
change the '\t' to ' '.

Unfortunately, on my Debian system that is in the main Python library,
and I will not mess with that (nor recommend that you do so).  If you
have one of the Mailman installations with a self-contained email
package (ie, in .../mailman/Mailman/mailman), then it is probably safe
to do that surgery.  I believe you'll have to restart Mailman, but
Python will pick up the change automagically.