[Mailman-Users] Time change

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sun Nov 4 08:26:26 CET 2007

Mikael Hansen wrote:

>I was wondering if there are any issues in 2.1.9 or 2.1.8 with having
>the same hour twice, concerning archives and other sequence related
>matters such as moderating a message stamped later than the approval
>of it.

Mailman will work as expected across the time change.

The only thing of which I am aware is that log messages are time
stamped in local time without indication of a time zone, so looking
strictly at the times, log messages may appear to be out of sequence
although the order in which they are written will be correct.

Archived messages are time stamped with a time zone. Threading and
other sequence related things in the archives are based on order of
receipt, not time stamp.

Approval of held messages will work as expected, although the vette log
approval may appear to be earlier than the hold as noted above. Also,
there is a very small window during which a held post could appear to
have been approved in the vette log at say 01:59:59 yet been sent to
the list according to the post and smtp logs at 01:00:00.

The time which forms a part of the name of a queue entry and which
ensures FIFO processing of a queue is UTC and is not affected by
standard vs. daylight time.