[Mailman-Users] Mailman aliases file on NFS

Andreas Achtzehn andreas at linux-society.de
Thu Nov 8 15:56:37 CET 2007

Hi!

I have a configuration of two servers which both import a shared
directory from a third server via NFS. One of the two server is the mail
server, the second is the web server.
I have copied the complete mailman tree to the NFS share. The
configuration works fine, mails are delivered and I can work within in
the web interface on the other server.
Unfortunately, removing lists doesn't work, because NFS doesn't support
locking.

mail bin # ./rmlist rk-rekoze
Not removing archives.  Reinvoke with -a to remove them.

postalias: fatal: lock /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases.db: No locks
available
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "./rmlist", line 153, in ?
    main()
  File "./rmlist", line 121, in main
    sys.modules[modname].remove(mlist)
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 296, in remove
    _update_maps()
  File "/usr/local/mailman/Mailman/MTA/Postfix.py", line 53, in _update_maps
    raise RuntimeError, msg % (acmd, status, errstr)
RuntimeError: command failed: /usr/sbin/postalias
/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases (status: 1, Operation not permitted)

I know this is kind of Postfix related problem. but I hope somebody on
this list has run into the same problem and found a workaround.

Regards, Andreas