[Mailman-Users] Mailman aliases file on NFS

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 8 17:19:36 CET 2007

Andreas Achtzehn wrote:

>I have copied the complete mailman tree to the NFS share. The
>configuration works fine, mails are delivered and I can work within in
>the web interface on the other server.
>Unfortunately, removing lists doesn't work, because NFS doesn't support
>locking.

Since it is postalias that fails, I would expect list creation to fail
too, although in that case the list gets created; the only thing that
doesn't get done is postalias and the owner notice.

>I know this is kind of Postfix related problem. but I hope somebody on
>this list has run into the same problem and found a workaround.

See
<http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.049.htp>
and the archive message it points to. This addresses a different
situation, but gives the idea of what you can do.

What you need to do is set POSTFIX_ALIAS_CMD in mm_cfg.py to run a
script which will copy Mailman's data/aliases file to a path on the
mail server and then run postalias on that file. You also need to
change the postfix configuration (alias_maps) to reference the Mailman
aliases file on the mail server.