[Mailman-Users] Shared non-member filters

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Tue Nov 20 00:18:06 CET 2007

Charles Marcus wrote:

>> I think you mean
>> <http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1220144&group_id=103&atid=300103>.
>> This patch allows specifying the name of a list (say list2) in list1's
>> accept_these_nonmembers so that members of list2 can post to list1
>> even if they aren't members of list1.
>
>Yep, thats it, thanks! According to the bug tracker, this patch will be
>included in 2.1.10...

I have a question.

The implementation in Mailman 2.1.10 is documented only for
accept_these_nonmembers, but it actually works for all four of the
*_these_nonmembers lists.

It is clearly most useful for accept_these_nonmembers, but it could be
used say in hold_these_nonmembers to hold posts from members of some
other list that would otherwise be discarded or rejected.

It could also be used to make a 'bad list' to be referenced in reject
or discard _these_nonmembers to reject or discard posts from the
members of the 'bad list' that would otherwise be held or accepted.
The 'bad list' would not be used to send mail. It would just be a way
of maintaining a list of 'bad' addresses.

My question is do people think they might use this ability to reference
a list in the other *_these_nonmembers lists, and should it be
documented for them too.