[Mailman-Users] Combining existing lists?

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Thu Nov 22 01:47:15 CET 2007

Lev Lafayette wrote:

>I have a number of lists. Due to the fact that there's a fair bit of
>crossover between them, I want to close down all but one of them.
>However I want to get the archives of the old lists and merge them with
>the list I want to keep.

Since you are going to be merging the archives into one, you are
presumably not concerned about invalidating previously saved archive
URLs, since I don't know how they would be maintained in any merge.

The short answer is concatenate the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox files for the lists
into one collective file which replaces the
archives/private/<listname>.mbox/<listname>.mbox file for the list you
are going to keep. Then run

 bin/arch --wipe listname

for the 'kept' list to build a new archive with all messages.

Depending on how old your lists are, it may be helpful to check the
.mbox file with bin/cleanarch first.

See

 bin/arch --help
 bin/cleanarch --help