[Mailman-Users] Problem with mailman in combination with sendmail

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 15 18:54:07 CEST 2007

Kai Behncke wrote:

>With: "--with-mail-gid=mail" I am not so very sure.
>In the manual is written: "On systems using sendmail, the 'sendmail.cf' configuration file
>designates the group id of sendmail processes using the DefaultUser option."
>
>So I watched sendmail.cf and it`s written:
>"# default UID (can be username or userid:groupid)
>O DefaultUser=mail:mail"
>
>I added the user "mail" with "useradd -g mail -s /bin/false mail"
>" - so this should be correct?

Yes. That all should be correct.

>Sendmail I installed with: apt-get install sendmail
>

>In /etc/aliases I have the default-mailmanlist and I have:
>

>help:              "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman post help"
>help-admin:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman admin help"
>help-bounces:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman bounces help"
>help-confirm:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman confirm help"
>help-join:         "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman join help"
>help-leave:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman leave help"
>help-owner:        "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman owner help"
>help-request:      "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman request help"
>help-subscribe:    "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman subscribe help"
>help-unsubscribe:  "|/usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman unsubscribe help"
>
>After that I did "newaliases" and got a confirmation of that.
>
>In sendmail.cf there is No entry for smrsh, so I should not have that.
>
>The problem is still: If I send a mail to the mailinglist it`s not posted to the members of the list.

Are you sending to the 'help' mailing list
(help at h1228898.stratoserver.net)?

>Has anybode experiences with mailman in combination with sendmail?
>Is there anything that is important to look at?

What happens to the mail to the list. Is it returned as undeliverable?
If so, why?

Look in sendmail's maillog and see what sendmail did with the mail.

>What I don`t understand: If I get a confirmation after creating a mailinglist or after subscribing a user to a list
>it should mean that sendmail runs correctly? Or not????

It means that sendmail is accepting mail via an SMTP connection FROM
Mailman and delivering it to the recepient addresses.

It does not say anything about whether or not sendmail knows how to
deliver mail TO Mailman or even if the mail gets to sendmail.

Note I just tried to connect to h1228898.stratoserver.net port 25 from
two different machines and was unable to connect. This means that at
least at this time sendmail is not listening for a port 25 connection
from the outside, and thus mail from the outside cannot be delivered
to this machine.