[Mailman-Users] hacking mailman.po

Mark Sapiro msapiro at value.net
Sat Sep 29 15:58:51 CEST 2007

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>> >I just want to delete 3 lines:
>> >
>> >"            <p>You can now\n"
>> >"            <a href=\"%(optionsurl)s\">proceed to your membership login\n"
>> >"            page</a>."
>
>OK - I do not really want people to be looking at their membership
>page. I have monthly distribution lists (not discussion ones) and I
>just want to make sure people have links to my custom opt-in, opt-out
>pages. That's all. However, when people confirm subscription via web,
>they see then the above text. If I cannot delete it, can I just change
>it into anything else (like a thank you note or whatever)? Of course I
>need to do the same with the Polish translation. English and Polish
>are the only languages that are of interest to me at the moment.

I think you may have misunderstood my first response. I said you could
not JUST delete text from 'msgid' in the mailman.po file.

What you need to do is edit the text in Mailman/Cgi/Confirm.py anyway
you want. You can delete those lines, change them whatever. If you do
JUST that, that edited text will display in English on both the
English and Polish versions of the page.

To make the Polish translation work, you then have to edit the 'msgid'
text in the Polish mailman.po so it matches exactly the edited text in
Mailman/Cgi/Confirm.py and edit the Polish translation in 'msgstr'
appropriately and then run bin/msgfmt.py to update the mailman.mo.