[Mailman-Users] archive 404 strangness

Jim Popovitch yahoo at jimpop.com
Wed Apr 2 07:51:45 CEST 2008

Sort of OT, but Mailman related.....

Lately I've noticed lots of 404 log errors for archive pages where the
first letter of the Month is not capatilized (i.e. 2007-september,
instead of the correct 2007-September).  These first started in
appearing in the logs around December 2007, but continue today.  The
IPs are all over the place, contain no referrer, and the user agent
varies but does include some search engines like Y!Slurp.   I've
checked every file in the archive for references to the lower case
month, but didn't find any.

In the case of the Y!Slurp hits, the IPs don't show as whois'ed by
Yahoo!, but rather OC3 Networks.

So... is this an archive harvesting miscreant?

-Jim P.