[Mailman-Users] list address in From: line post message to closed list

Steve Lindemann steve at marmot.org
Fri Apr 4 01:10:39 CEST 2008

Steve Lindemann wrote:
> Dragon wrote:
>> Steve Lindemann sent the message below at 14:43 4/3/2008:

>>> I'm running version 2.1.9, installed from a tarball on a Dell server
>>> running CentOS 5.  I administer from the command line and thru the
>>> web interface.  It's a pretty basic install.
>> Now when you say it's from a tarball, is it a binary install or did
>> you compile it (configure, make, make install, etc.)?
>>
>> Where did you obtain this version?
>>
>> If it isn't from one of the links on the page linked below, it may
>> have been altered in some way by somebody else to conform to some
>> distribution specific criteria.
>>
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/mailman/mailman.html
>>

>>> I went thru the logs and saw the message hit our email server
>>> (originally from 5850-260-1-62.dialup.samtel.ru), it gets passed to
>>> mailman and I see the  post entry showing it's arrival into mailman
>>> then then smtp entry showing it's delivery back to the email
>>> server.  I confirmed the delivery to the 144 recipients (fortunately
>>> this is a small list) in the mail log.  I am one of the recipients
>>> on this list, but in my case spamassassin flagged the message and it
>>> gets filtered away.
>>>
>>> I just widened my search thru the mailman logs and noticed some
>>> other lists (in the vette log) holding messages for moderation with
>>> the list email in the From: line.  So it does appear to be something
>>> in this specific list that's misconfigured.  I'm off to poke around
>>> the config again but I'd be very interested in any suggestions about
>>> what I might be looking for!?  My first pass thru the config I was
>>> looking for something that would allow this to happen and didn't see it.
>> If this is a stock install from the mailman source, I've pretty much
>> exhausted my ideas. The only settings I know that should affect the
>> ability to deliver an e-mail are:
>>
>> accept_these_nonmembers
>> generic_nonmember_action
>> header_filter_rules
>>
>> I've looked through all the other options and don't see anything
>> there that would possibly allow something through. The only other
>> thing I can think of is that this mail might have been held and
>> accidentally accepted or it might have been sent with an Approved:
>> header with the list or site password.
>>
>> Dragon
>
> acquired the software with:
> wget
> http://openwebmail.org/openwebmail/download/release/openwebmail-2.52.tar.gz
>
> followed by many wget's of required perl modules and such
> and installed the lot.  I recall rounds of configure,make,make test,make
> install for the perl modules.  I don't recall doing that for the
> openwebmail, I do remember "./openwebmail-tool.pl --init" after some
> config file changes.

OOPS... never mind that.  My notes only say I went to the mailman
website and downloaded mailman-2.1.9.tgz... from there the notes get
more involved but it boils down to: unpacked it, went thru the make/make
install routine, ended up with a working copy.

I really need to pay attention to which question I working on... I was
also dealing with an openwebmail issue at the same time (not much of an
excuse but it's all I have 8^)  ...sorry for the confusion!!