[Mailman-Users] Mailman autoresponder sends email from -bouncesaddress?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Apr 7 02:04:19 CEST 2008

Kelly Jones wrote:

>We recently added an auto-reply that says "thanks for submitting your
>resume'". The auto-reply comes from "resumes-bounces at foo.com", which
>seems incorrect. I can see setting "Errors-To:" to this address and
>maybe even the envelope sender, but not the "From:" line.
>
>The problem: when someone replies (perhaps w/ more followup
>information), the reply goes to resumes-bounces at foo.com, which isn't
>helpful.

Right, but when their vacation program replies, it isn't helpful for
that to go to your list.

>Is this intentional? Can it be changed? We've played around w/
>redirecting where resumes-bounces goes, but that doesn't seem like the
>correct solution here.

It's easy enough to change, if you want to hack the code. The From:
address is the second argument to Message.UserNotification in

 outmsg = Message.UserNotification(sender, mlist.GetBouncesEmail(),
                               subject, text, mlist.preferred_language)

at line 105 in Mailman/Handlers/Replybot.py. You could replace
mlist.GetBouncesEmail() with mlist.getListAddress() for the list
posting address, or mlist.getListAddress('owner') for the list-owner
address, or a new alias, say mlist.getListAddress('replies'), or even
a literal address.