[Mailman-Users] open list and unsubscription

bergenpeak at comcast.net bergenpeak at comcast.net
Sun Apr 13 00:23:01 CEST 2008

What functionality would I lose if I just changed the code that processed the info being delivered to "list-xyz-request"?  What if I changed, in /etc/alias, "|mailman request list-xyz" to a "|my-code.pl list-xyz".  This code would simply determine if this was a subscribe or unsubscribe request, and add_member or remove_member.   From what I can tell, if I run the add_member or remove_member directly, there's no need for a user confirmation or list-admin approval (right?)

I guess if its not obviously a subscribe or unsubscribe, I could then do a "|mailman request list-xyz" and see if the standard mailman machinery can figure out the right response.

What can of worms would I be opening if I went down this path?

Thanks

From: Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>