[Mailman-Users] attachments

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 15 23:58:44 CEST 2008

Con Wieland wrote:

>I am having trouble understanding what is going on with the
>attachments and archives. I have a message being sent to the list
>that appears to be text with a pdf attachment. With Mac mail I
>receive it as expected showing both the text and the attachment. When
>I go to the archives though I get the message text plus
>
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

So, it looks like the message structure is something like

multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
        text/plain        (the plain text you see in the archive)
        text/html         (the html version which is
                           attachment-0002.html in the archive)
    application/pdf       (the pdf attachment which is
                           attachment-0001.pdf in the archive)
    text/html             (appears to be a (empty) footer added
                           probably by the sender's MUA. This
                           is attachment-0003.html in the archive)

>My questions are,  why am I getting the html attachments?

Because the sender's MUA is sending them and your content filtering is
either not on or is not removing HTML and not collapsing alternatives.

>and why
>are they jibberish?

They are not gibberish. They are HTML shown to you as raw rather than
rendered HTML.

The attachment-0002.html appears to be an announcement for "Beyond
Field: A Guide Through Practice and Discipline" which is what I assume
the original plain text is too. If you visit that link
(<http://maillists.uci.edu/mailman/public/test/attachments/20080415/846539df/attachment-0002.html>,
and copy the text and paste it into a file named xxx.html and open
that file in a web browser, you'll see a rendered version which is
probably what you saw in your mail client rather than the plain text.