[Mailman-Users] Need capability of link to archived messages

Darren G Pifer dpifer at odu.edu
Thu Apr 17 14:23:14 CEST 2008

Hi Mark,

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 17:46 -0700, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> Darren G Pifer wrote:
> >
> >The owner of the list wanted to know, as I do, is it
> >possible to get the e-mail of the message but the message contain an
> >embedded URL to the stored archive instead an e-mail message with the
> >log?
>

> This is not possible in current Mailman.
>
> In Mailman 3, now in alpha exposure, I think there will be the ability
> to include a link to the archived message in the delivered message
> itself (some sort of X-Archived-At header), but the delivered message
> will still contain the full original.
>
> If the only issue is that some messages are held because they are too
> big, why not just raise the limit. The setting is "Maximum length in
> kilobytes (KB) of a message body. Use 0 for no limit." on General
> Options.

The issue was no such much the moderator had to approve the message
because of the size but the fact that the e-mail messages to the list
are rather large.  It took about 10 munites to get my Evolution client
to read the entire message.  Mailman is probably not the software we not
to use for this kind of function, that is, storing backup logs, but it
is convenient.

Anyhow, if Mailman 3 will include this kind of functionality, then we
will wait for its release.

Thanks, Darren
ODU