[Mailman-Users] Mailman 2.1.10 has been released

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Apr 22 15:52:23 CEST 2008

Brad Knowles wrote:

>On 4/21/08, Brad Knowles wrote:
>>>   I have applied the patch to my installation and I'm sure it's good, but
>>>   I haven't seen any unparseable messages.
>>  I haven't seen any more unparseable messages in the last few minutes,
>>  but let's see how things go.
>We've now had a couple of unparseable messages since applying the
>patch, and it seems to be working as expected.
>Going back to Jun 12 23:48:51 2007, it looks like we've had a total
>of about 378,989 unparseable messages, although we only have just
>over 8000 messages in the mailman/qfiles/shunt and
>mailman/qfiles/shunt.old directories (7759 .psv files, and 312 .pck
>That works out to about 37,900 unparseable messages per month, or
>something like about 125 unparseable messages per day.

The light dawns! (thanks to the post at

There was an error in 2.1.9 that didn't delete (or move aside) the .bak
file in qfiles/in from an unparseable message. Thus, there were 7500+
unparseable message qfiles/in/*.bak files when you restarted mailman.
These were all 'recovered' and reprocessed, reproducing the
unparseable message error, and this time moved to qfiles/shunt/*.psv
(so it wouldn't happen again).

This explains why there were over 7500 of these at once, when the
normal rate is /only/ 125 per day.