[Mailman-Users] Turning off digests

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Apr 26 17:31:34 CEST 2008

Zbigniew Szalbot wrote:

>I have a question about digests. I do not need them for the types of
>mailing lists we use, so I was glad to see an option to switch them off.
>I set
>DEFAULT_DIGESTABLE = No
>in mm_cfg.py and then restarted mailman. However, it has no effect on
>existing lists. Is that so that the setting is effective only for lists
>created from now on (and not on the existing ones)?

That is correct.

The setting for existing lists is 'digestable' on the Digest options
page.

If you want to set digestable to No for all existing lists, you could
run something like

#! /bin/bash
cd /path/to/mailman
temp=`mktemp`
echo digestable = 0 > $temp
for list in `bin/list_lists --bare` ; do
bin/config_list -i $temp $list
echo --- digest members in $list ---
bin/list_members --digest
done
rm $temp

You need to list the current digest members because you will have to
set them to 'regular' after setting the list's digestable to no or
they won't get any mail.