[Mailman-Users] http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+and+CPanel

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sat Aug 2 03:11:22 CEST 2008

Russell Clemings wrote to me off list:

>Maybe I'm misreading it, but I'm not sure this line (among others) is
>strictly accurate:
>
>"6. All of this mumbo-jumbo is why you can't create lists in the normal way
>if you're using cpanel, either via the command line or via the Mailman
>interface."
>
>(from http://wiki.list.org/display/DOC/Mailman+and+CPanel)

And I didn't write it. My name appears at the bottom of the current
article because I happened to make the last (probably very minor) edit
to the old FAQ Wizard page before it was moved to the new wiki.

Also, the old FAQ Wizard <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py> now
redirects to the new wiki so it is not possible to see the edit
history of the old page to know who did write it.

>>From the command line, I'm able to run: ./newlist
>--urlhost=subdomain.domain.tld listname
>... and it creates lists without the silly CPanel "listname_domain" naming
>convention. As I said, I may be misreading it, but I think the wiki
>currently leaves the impression that there's no way to create a list except
>through CPanel. The one drawback to doing it my way is that the lists don't
>show up in the CPanel interface afterward, but that's a small price to pay.
>
>In short, I think the caveats on the wiki page apply ONLY to lists created
>via the CPanel frontend, not in the shell.

The FAQ is a wiki. You are free to create an account, log in and edit
the page.