[Mailman-Users] digest reply-to

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Aug 28 04:50:18 CEST 2008

Alan.Rubin at nt.gov.au wrote:

>Where can you set an explicit digest reply-to email address?  I have tried the
>General Options and the reply-to is always to the list no matter what I change
>(even if I set an explicit reply-to address).

Those settings only apply to messages. Currently, From: and Reply-To:
for digests are set to the list address in
Mailman/Handlers/ToDigest.py in the send_i18n_digests() function.

>If I have a one-way list that
>only sends in digest, I don't want people/autoresponders to pick up the list as
>the reply-to and fill up the next digest (in the case when an allowed poster is
>on holidays and fails to set their out-of-office policy correctly, for example).

You're dealing with broken autoresponders if they're responding to to
digests in the first place so you can't predict what they will do with

    mimemsg['Reply-To'] = mlist.GetListEmail()

    if mlist.reply_to_address:
        mimemsg['Reply-To'] = mlist.reply_to_address
    else:
        mimemsg['Reply-To'] = mlist.GetListEmail()

and similarly a few lines below with rfc1153msg['Reply-To']. This will
honor the list's reply_to_address if there is one.