[Mailman-Users] Centos + Blue Quartz question - virtual site issue.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 22 16:20:17 CET 2008

Alex wrote:

>I'm trying to set up Mailman on NuOnce Centos+Blue Quartz site, running into
>a problem - all emails to the aliases come back as "unknown user".
>Invitation to join works fine; replying to confirm results in membership.
>my understanding is that aliases are not being read  - how do i fix this
>one?
>
>have successfully set up mailman on centos 5.2 just to see it work - works
>great!
>

>  ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>... while talking to lists.fergula.com.:
><<< 553 5.3.0 <testeq-list at lists.fergula.com>... No such user here
>550 5.1.1 <testeq-list at lists.fergula.com>... User unknown
><<< 503 5.0.0 Need RCPT (recipient)
>

>Final-Recipient: RFC822; testeq-list at lists.fergula.com
>Action: failed
>Remote-MTA: DNS; lists.fergula.com
>Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 553 5.3.0 <testeq-list at lists.fergula.com>... No such
>user here
>Last-Attempt-Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 21:32:22 -0500

Based on your off-list reply to Brad, it appears that you're using a
CentOS/RedHat Mailman package. My understanding of this package, which
may be incorrect, is it integrates aliases with Postfix as the MTA.

The SMTP interaction quoted in the DSN above does not appear to be from
Postfix. Postfix says things like

550 5.1.1 <xxx at example.com>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown
in local recipient table.

So my best guess, is your package think's it's using Postfix, but this
is actually some other MTA, so you'll probably need to set up the
aliases manually or whatever is appropriate for the MTA you're
actually using.