[Mailman-Users] Non-members seemingly able to post

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Feb 7 05:04:51 CET 2008

Robert Boyd Skipper wrote:

>Thank you for this information.  The headers don't seem to be the problem, as they
>contain non-member emails.  I don't have direct access to the mm_cfg.py file, and I
>can't find a user_envelope_sender in the web-based administration pages.  So I haven't
>checked into that.

Here's something you can try. Since you don't have access to mm_cfg.py,
I assume you don't have direct access to
archives/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox either, but you can get
it from the web (if it's not too humongous) with a URL like
<http://www.example.com/mailman/private/listname.mbox/listname.mbox>.
If you find the message(s) there, the initial "From " line and the
Return-Path:, if any, have the envelope sender. Then, the Reply-To:
and Sender: if any will be as in the original post, assuming your list
isn't anonymous and doesn't mung the Reply-To:

>However, I do have one more fact that may be relevant.  I just received another spam
>posting that got through.  It and the previous one both have emails that begin with an
>underscore: _pearl at absinth.com and _nlahtien at musikverein-altenhof.de
>So, as a possible quick fix, I've set the Spam filter rule 1 to the following
>
>from: _.*@.*
>
>Maybe this will work?

It should, assuming there's no 'real name' between From: and the
address and the address isn't in <>. I woul be inclined to try
something along the lines of

If you give this rule a Hold action, then you can see the original held
message with the original incoming headers intact. You will even see
the presence of an Approved: header or body line if any, although this
isn't likely to be the reason the message gets through as it requires
the list's admin or moderator password.