[Mailman-Users] Mailman and Groupwise

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Feb 11 23:56:29 CET 2008

Adam Gabriel wrote:

>Mailman should function with any MTA that plays by the usual SMTP rules.
>OTOH, it might be easier in the long run to use postfix with mailman,
>and have postfix direct everything into groupwise.  (OTOH, you won't
>get the mailman aliases into the groupwise address book.)
>
>Carl,
>That's my concern... When a user sends a message to a list, it would normally find the listname in the asiases file, and pipe the mail into the /usr/local/mailman/mail/mailman python script, correct?
>With groupwise, the system does have its Internet Agent that does play by SMTP, but it has no concept of local users, aliases, etc. It gets its users from eDirectory, and I can't make an alias/nickname that groupwise will understands that will point to a pipe/file... only to other eDirectory (LDAP) objects
>
>Can you elaborate on your other suggestion - have postfix direct everything into GW? Could I run it on the same box, maybe just on another port and have it function still?

I think there's some confusion here between incoming mail to Mailman
and outgoing mail from Mailman. Mailman delivers it's outgoing mail
via SMTP to whatever MTA is defined in mm_cfg.py by SMTPHOST and
SMTPPORT. The defaults for these if not defined in mm_cfg.py are
'localhost' and 0 respectively, and the port = 0 tells the Python
smtplib to use the default SMTP port which is 25.

Incoming mail is the issue you're concerned about, and this is normally
delivered via a pipe to the mail wrapper with ten specific addresses
per list and the corresponding ten pipe commands established via
aliases or programattically depending on the MTA.

If Groupwise cannot be made to deliver to a pipe, you have a few other
options.

1) Use Mailman's 'experimental' Maildir delivery. See the comments
surrounding the USE_MAILDIR setting in Defaults.py and also those at
the beginning of Mailman/Queue/MaildirRunner.py. This will work if you
can get Groupwise to deliver all list mail to a Maildir.

2) Possibly you can establish a separate domain for Mailman lists only
and set your DNS records so that mail for that domain bypasses
Groupwise and gets delivered to a different MTA on the Mailman box.