[Mailman-Users] No subscription is made despite confirmation

Henrik Rasmussen her at adm.ku.dk
Fri Feb 15 11:24:33 CET 2008

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
> Henrik Rasmussen writes:
> Of course it's possible that the MUA is just inserting those headers
> but it's a lie (the MUA thinks that's enough to let it get away with
> just putting UTF-8 *anywhere*).  But note that 0xF8 is illegal in
> UTF-8 (for several reasons), so most likely that is intended as an ISO
> 8-bit character.
> Do you agree that the interpretation of 0xF8 as "ø" is likely here?

I'm not sure. The mail body contains a signature "Nørregaard" in the plain text section and "N=C3=B8rregaard" in the HTML section, but there is no "ø" in the header (and thus nor the e-mail address of the subscriber).

But even so, the fact that Mailman issued a 'new' command, the user should have been put on the list (i'm just speculating here, I'm not that familiar with e-mail handeling and especially not Mailman nor Python).

>  > >The only reasonable solution is to get your users to stop
> doing that.
>  > >This may require them to subscribe that address from a
> different MUA.
>  >
>  > This would not be a practicable solution, since we have subscribers
>  > from around the world.
>
> The alternative is far worse, though:  to ask "Søren" to spell his
> name as "Soren".  :-(

Haha yes, that would not be easy.