[Mailman-Users] Mailman postings deferred by Yahoo

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Wed Feb 20 16:24:47 CET 2008

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 05:15:58 -0600
"Rick Harris" <rick at learntime.com> wrote:

> whateveraddress at yahoo.com R=lookuphost T=remote_smtp defer (0): SMTP error
> from remote mail server after initial connection: host g.mx.mail.yahoo.com
> [206.190.53.191]: 421 4.7.0 [TS02] Messages from 216.104.33.122 temporarily
> deferred due to user complaints - 4.16.56.1; see
> http://postmaster.yahoo.com/421-ts02.html

Same here, although i get a TS01 instead of a TS02. And 10'000 a day of those.

> All of my outgoing email uses the same server located at 216.104.33.122 and
> any single email that I send to any Yahoo address using any client is
> received just fine.

As far as i can tell, they only do it for certain IPs and only certain
MX have that problem (although i didn't check which ones they are and
whether it changes over time). So, finally all mails will arrive somewhen.

> My Mailman list is very small with < 20 members and only 3 Yahoo addresses
> and the user complaint thing is bogus. This is a golf list for crying out
> loud.all of the members want to know what their tee times are for Saturday!
> All of Yahoo addresses have the same issue, even my own which I added to the
> list for testing.   And I said majority, because 1 in 15 or so messages will
> miraculously come through.

Just wait a bit. If you set up your MTA correctly, it will choose a random
MX and hit one that accepts your mails.

> Does anyone else have any experience with this, and is there something that
> I can do on my end that would help?

Pester yahoo. Although i doubt that this will help much. I'm now
in "contact" with them for over two weeks. The first respond i got
from them was a standard mail that i should contact my mail admin
(ie they haven't even read what i wrote). After repeating the
same thing 4 or 5 times, because they asked for the same stuff
(domain name, server ip, log file) over and over again i threatened
them to unsubsribe all subscribers from yahoo (a total of about 600 of them)
and tell everyone to choose a different freemailer. Since then, they
appologize in every mail, but nothing changed so far.

Now over two weeks after my initial "contact", i consider really
unsubscribing all yahoo users and put a news entry on our webpage
with the explenation if the situation doesn't change by this weekend.
I'm quite sure that this will catch their attention... even if it's too late.

				Attila Kinali
                         -- Deed of Morred