[Mailman-Users] Mailman postings deferred by Yahoo

Brian Carpenter brian at emwd.com
Wed Feb 20 16:48:17 CET 2008

> > My Mailman list is very small with < 20 members and only 3 Yahoo
> addresses
> > and the user complaint thing is bogus. This is a golf list for crying
> out
> > loud.all of the members want to know what their tee times are for
> Saturday!
> > All of Yahoo addresses have the same issue, even my own which I added
> to the
> > list for testing.   And I said majority, because 1 in 15 or so
> messages will
> > miraculously come through.
>
> Just wait a bit. If you set up your MTA correctly, it will choose a
> random
> MX and hit one that accepts your mails.

It seems Rick is probably on a shared hosting environment and the time it
takes for his mail to finally be delivered will depend how large the hosting
company's mail queue is.

> > Does anyone else have any experience with this, and is there
> something that
> > I can do on my end that would help?
>
> Pester yahoo. Although i doubt that this will help much. I'm now
> in "contact" with them for over two weeks. The first respond i got
> from them was a standard mail that i should contact my mail admin
> (ie they haven't even read what i wrote). After repeating the
> same thing 4 or 5 times, because they asked for the same stuff
> (domain name, server ip, log file) over and over again i threatened
> them to unsubsribe all subscribers from yahoo (a total of about 600 of
> them)
> and tell everyone to choose a different freemailer. Since then, they
> appologize in every mail, but nothing changed so far.
>
> Now over two weeks after my initial "contact", i consider really
> unsubscribing all yahoo users and put a news entry on our webpage
> with the explenation if the situation doesn't change by this weekend.
> I'm quite sure that this will catch their attention... even if it's too
> late.

I really think the best option is to get our mailman list subscribers to
start using another e-mail provider. I think Yahoo should be sued for their
interference of legitimate e-mail communications and the way they have
wasted a large number of ISPs' time by the process that they make us go
through to try to get white listed with them or to even be placed upon their
feedback loop. In fact I haven't come across one ISP yet who has had their
servers successfully white listed with yahoo.

Regards,
Brian