[Mailman-Users] discard_these_nonmembers

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Wed Jul 16 01:17:26 CEST 2008

<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~mailman-coders/mailman/2.1/annotate/head:/NEWS>

> Question:
>
> I'm trying to edit discard_these_nonmembers.  Sometimes when I've done it
> in the past I made a syntax error and got an error msg.  But now I'm
> getting the error msg no matter what I do.  Even just trying to submit the
> original text.  I am guessing something changed in this version of MM, but
> I don't know.
>
> I got this syntax from Mark here a while ago.  I use it to automatically
> discard spam from certain domains:
>
> Example: ^[^@]+@(.*\.)?heatherandhailey\.com$
>
> When I get a new domain to discard, I cut and paste one of the other domain
> lines and swap out the new domain and change .com to .org or whatever if
> needed.
>
> I'm trying to create this line:
> ^[^@]+@(.*\.)?hunt4loot\.com$
>
> But then I get the error:
> Error: Bad email address for option discard_these_nonmembers:
> ^[^@]+@(.*\.)?heatherandhailey\.com$ ^[^@]+@(.*\.)?myloveschool\.com$
> [and so on, listing every line in my box, including plain email addresses
> with no funny characters.]
>
> When this has happened before, I remove the new line(s), resubmit and the
> error disappears.  Then I carefully put my new info back, one line at a
> time, until I find the error and fix it.
>
> But this time, even resubmiting the old info results in an error msg.
>
> I thought maybe it didn't like some old code I had in there that turned out
> to be ineffective but harmless.  So I tried cutting it but it still gives
> me the error msg.
>
> The only changes I've made since the last time I got it to work have been
> to use the auto-discard option on the moderation page.
>
> I can post the entire code I have if anyone wants, but it's rather long and
> I didn't want to flood the list.
>
> My ISP recently upgraded from version 2.1.9 to version 2.1.11.

Not too much has changed that would affect this. Each entry must look
syntactically like a valid email address or be a valid regexp starting
with ^ or be a listname preceded by @.  The @listname feature is new in
2.1.10, but it should result in accepting more, not less (and the actual
listname isn't validated at this point).

There was a change in email address validation in that an address with
an unquoted local part containing ':', '\' or '"' is now considered
invalid. E.g., previously, the (invalid) address doe:j at example.com would
have been accepted, but now it must be "doe:j"@example.com. This was
changed in 2.1.11 to fix the bug report at
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1956393&group_id=103&atid=100103>.

So I suspect you must have an address already in
discard_these_nonmembers that fails this new test.