[Mailman-Users] Upgrade questions - Best method suggestions requested

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Jul 16 07:57:22 CEST 2008

On 7/15/08, Drew Tenenholz wrote:

>  1) Are there any significant changes to the FAQ for Apple upgrade I
>  should know about?

The Apple-related portion of the documentation has been contributed
by other members of the community, so if you haven't seen any updates
there, it is *NOT* safe to assume that the instructions are still
valid.  You could always try them and report back your experiences,
and maybe hope that someone will be able to update the documentation
to reflect that.

>  2) Should we upgrade Mailman to 2.1.11 FIRST, then do the OS X install or
>  the other way around?  I can see arguments for both, but having never done
>  any upgrade for mailman I'm not sure which to do first.

Do the OS upgrade first, then Mailman.

>  3) I'm running a single, very small announce-only list with about 125
>  subscribers, but I'd like to preserve the archived messages (all in
>  Cyrillic text).  I really DON'T want to preserve the existing queue of
>  postings held for moderation, they are all SPAM.  Is it possible to drop
>  a specific piece of Mailman like that during an upgrade?

Sure.  Just don't copy those messages over when you copy over everything else.

>  4) So, I really need to put some kind of SPAM filter between Mailman
>  and Postfix.  Does anyone know if the pre-installed SapmAssassin which
>  comes with OS X (10.5) just 'magically' becomes part of the mix, or do
>  I need to do something else to start filtering the incoming junk to
>  mailman?

I haven't seen their SpamAssassin configuration.  I do know that the
SpamAssassin integration instructions we have work at another site I
help administer (ntp.org).

>  5) I hope to set up a boot drive plus a RAID0 for the data drives. Where
>  does Mailman end up living?

Our standard installation for everything related to Mailman usually
gets put in /usr/local/Mailman/, but I don't know if the installation
process has been updated to put it wherever Apple specifies to put
things for their version of Mailman.  You'd want to check that to
make sure.