[Mailman-Users] list messages lost to Hotmail subscribers lost

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Thu Jun 19 06:01:06 CEST 2008

On 6/18/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  Welcome to the world of pain and frustration that is dealing with
>  Microsoft and Windows live mail spam filtering - yes, they do accept
>  your mail and then silently discard it.

For small non-profit organizations, you can pay a one-time fee to
Habeas and/or Return Path and take part in their "safelist" or
"bonded sender" programs, and that should significantly help your
penetration into various sites, not just hotmail.  For example, using
Habeas improves your spam score by a full 8.0 points with
SpamAssassin using an out-of-the-box configuration, although
ReturnPath only improves your spam score by 4.0 points.  Still, 4.0
points may be enough to take you out of the yellow and into the
green, and 8.0 points would almost certainly do that.

I think we send too much e-mail for python.org to do this sort of
thing as a small non-profit (there are daily/monthly/yearly volume
limits), but we should probably talk to the PSF about an annual
subscription to their lowest tier of service on these programs, and I
have contacts at both Habeas and ReturnPath that we can talk to.

We're looking at doing this for my "real" employer, and for one of
the largest public universities in the world, the safelist price I
was quoted was less than $10,000.  And we do a *lot* of volume at
work.  Smaller sites get charged proportionately less.