[Mailman-Users] Disable word-wrap?

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Jun 19 21:45:30 CEST 2008

Jan Steinman wrote:

>On 19 Jun 08, at 12:02, Steve Burling wrote:
>
>> For what it's worth, it didn't arrive line-wrapped at my end.  The
>> wider I made my mail window, the longer the lines got.
>
>Interestinger and interestinger... the text Steve says wasn't line-
>wrapped became so when quoted, above, but his reply text was not.

I told you the answer in my initial reply, but to reiterate with more
detail, the copy of your reply which I received by direct Cc: has the
header:

This means that the text may have been (was in this case) wrapped and a
trailing <space> added immediately preceding any inserted <CRLF>. See
RFC 2646 <http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2646.html> for details.

Then, your first paragraph was sent as

>Interesting. The only email that I send out that gets wrapped is stuff
>that goes through Mailman. I can send the exact same thing to a
>postfix alias of exactly the same people, and it doesn't get wrapped.

You may not see it, but the first two of the three lines end with two
spaces. The format=flowed and delsp=yes parameters tell the receiving
MUA that each line that ends in a space should have the space removed
and be joined to the following line making

>Interesting. The only email that I send out that gets wrapped is stuff that goes through Mailman. I can send the exact same thing to a postfix alias of exactly the same people, and it doesn't get wrapped.

The problem is that prior to Mailman 2.1.10, the format=flowed and
delsp=yes parameters were not preserved in the outgoing message, thus
the receiving MUA doesn't unwrap the lines per RFC 2646.

So, I suspect you are seeing this issue on a pre-2.1.10 Mailman. Note
that the loss of the format=flowed and delsp=yes parameters most
likely occurred when msg_header and/or msg_footer was added to the
message, and if you set these 'empty', the problem will be avoided.

>In fact, I'd venture to guess that this email, which is sent to the list and to Mark and I on the Cc: will show up wrapped on the list, and not wrapped on the Cc's.

So did you receive a copy from this 2.1.10 list? If so, what did it
look like?