[Mailman-Users] creating new virtual lists

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 27 22:00:30 CET 2008

billc wrote:

>What's the correct syntax for Virtual_Hosts {} in Defaults.py? I keep
>getting errors when I try to put something there.

As pointed out by Dragon in another reply, don't change Defaults.py.
Override or supplement settings in mm_cfg.py instead.

To answer your question, VIRTUAL_HOSTS is a dictionary with web host as
keys and mail hos as vallues, but you don't need or want to edit it
directly. You use add_virtualhost() as in

add_virtualhost('www.example.com', 'example.com')

To add entries to VIRTUAL_HOSTS. VIRTUAL_HOSTS is initialized in
Defaults.py with

If these values are correct, just add more virtual hosts with
add_virtualhost() in mm_cfg.py.

If these values need to be changed, change them in mm_cfg.py with

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = '...'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = '...'

then clear the old values from VIRTUAL_HOSTS with

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

and add the new values with

followed by add_virtualhost() lines for the other domains.

>I need to set moderation of new accounts (including any which are
>subscribed and confirmed from here forward) to OFF.  Where is that
>setting? I see the one to toggle moderation on/off for all current
>subscribers on the main Membership List page, but that doesn't appear
>to affect new subscribers.

Answered by Dragon in another reply.