[Mailman-Users] excessive bounce notifications..

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun May 18 16:48:54 CEST 2008

Stefan Förster wrote:

>* Khalil Abbas <khillo100 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>> I recieve over 2000 messages from mailman-bounces every day with
>> subject: Uncaught bounce notification.. and when opening any message
>> it's nothing but another Spam Ad about pills or shoes or other
>> stuff.. how can I stop these ADs from being sent to my Admin email?
>> it's becoming a real pain as it takes forever to download to the
>> inbox.. on the other hand, I don't want to disable the notification
>> because sometimes it might be a bounce that mailman couldn't detect
>> so I remove it manually from the list ..
>
>If you do not wan't to disable those notifications in Mailman, the
>easiest way seems to filter the messages bevor they are delivered to
>mailman. This probably involves some configuration in your MTA - but
>have you tried out the "Spam Filtering" options in your admin
>webinterface?

Mailman's spam filters only apply to mail to the list and list-owner
addresses. They don't apply to mail to -bounces.

The remainder of Stefan's advice is good.

For my server, I use Postfix as the incoming MTA with Postgrey for
greylisting. This gets rid of much spam. The remaining mail is run
through MailScanner <http://mailscanner.info/> which in my
configuration uses ClamAv, SpamAssassin, Razor, Pyzor, DCC and other
checks for malware and spam. I find this to be a pretty effective
combination.