[Mailman-Users] excessive bounce notifications..

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sun May 18 19:00:02 CEST 2008

On 5/18/08, Mark Sapiro wrote:

>  For my server, I use Postfix as the incoming MTA with Postgrey for
>  greylisting. This gets rid of much spam.

At the Anti-Spam Workshop at the LISA'07 conference, one lesson we
learned is that every site is different, and what works for one site
may not work for another.

However, another thing we learned is that greylisting is becoming
much less effective for many sites -- the workshop leader shared with
us some average statistics for greylisting success versus spam for
the year versus the last month, and the year was a 20% hit ratio
while the last month was 10%.

At that point, I would say that greylisting is less than useful.
There's a definite non-zero cost to using it, but if the spammers are
doing non-queueing retries, then greylisting becomes less than useful.

>                                            The remaining mail is run
>  through MailScanner <http://mailscanner.info/> which in my
>  configuration uses ClamAv, SpamAssassin, Razor, Pyzor, DCC and other
>  checks for malware and spam. I find this to be a pretty effective
>  combination.

I've got a multi-part article I've been writing for a couple of years
that details all of my knowledge and experience on the subject of
fighting spam (and I've been doing this for over seventeen years),
for publication on the LOPSA.org website, and goes into some detail
on the anti-spam methods we use for python.org.

Anyone who wants a copy of the current draft should contact me, and
I'll be glad to share it with them, under the conditions that they
don't share it with anyone else without my prior approval, and they
promise to give me feedback.

I'm also hoping to do an invited talk at the LISA'08 conference on
one small part of the spam problem, if anyone is interested.