[Mailman-Users] Mailing list with no archive

Laura Creighton lac at openend.se
Thu May 29 23:11:02 CEST 2008

A mailing list that I am subscribed to, for reasons of privacy, has decided
to not archive its messages.  I think this is an extremely silly idea, but
right now out of my control.  My problem is that periodically I think I
remember something useful having been posted there, and want to search the
non-existant archives -- because I forget they do not exist.

The first erroneous piece of information I get is 'this archive is only
searchable by list members'.  So I try to log in to read the list, and
despite typing my correct password, things fail with 'Authorization
Failed' rather than letting me discover that there were no archives to
be found.  So you assume you haven't reset your password for this mailing
list to one of the several you are in the habit of using, and ask for
a password reminder -- to find out that all of this has been a complete
waste of time because your problem is that there is no archive, not
that you mistyped your password.

So -- is this just a bug -- should I report it -- or is this list
misconfigured?  I can ask the list maintainer to change things if there
is a way we can avoid this.

Thanks very much,
Laura Creighton