[Mailman-Users] Customizing mailman to maintain history of unsubscriptions.

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Fri May 30 09:37:32 CEST 2008

On 5/29/08, Bob001 wrote:

>  How can we customize mailman to ensure that un-subscriptions are
>  automatically recorded.

They already are.  They're recorded in /usr/local/mailman/logs/subscribe.

>  Once recorded, we also intent to customize subscribe function to
>  automatically ensure that they don't get re-subscribed.

You need to make sure you understand why they're unsubscribed,
however.  If you get unsubscribed due to excessive bounces caused by
a short-term problem at  your ISP, should this prohibit you from ever
being subscribed again?

And the automatic bounce handling system of Mailman is just one of
many factors to consider.

>  Any suggestions? Any patch available to achieve this functionality?

Check the patch system on sourceforge, but I would doubt it.

The key is going to be fully and completely understanding any of the
various different reasons why a user was unsubscribed and putting
that into the database, and knowing which of those kinds of
transactions could be reversible and under what circumstances.