[Mailman-Users] Configure Repy-To header for confirmations

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Nov 2 18:11:05 CET 2008

Dennis Putnam wrote:

> OK, to be clear the problem is one of mailbox name length. Another
> list member replied privately and questioned that so I will repost
> that information here.
>
> The number characters in my list name plus the '-request' is 6
> characters too many. I could change the list names but that would be
> too much effort for list members most of which are computer
> illiterate. These lists have been around for several years. The need
> for confirmations simply has not come up until now. It probably never
> worked from the beginning. It has been so long since I set these up
> I'm not sure I remember how (IIRC, that can be set on a list-by-list
> basis from the web interface) but obviously this is different.
> Perhaps I should have pointed that out in the original question but I
> didn't think it was really relevant.
>
> That being said, using list-confirm is still that same length. As for
>  what needs to be munged, I think only the confirmation message.

Still, if you can use VERP_CONFIRMATIONS, it would make the code
modifications simpler because of the way the address is generated. The
difference is without VERP_CONFIRMATIONS, the message is

From: list-request at ...

with

Subject: confirm xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx...

and with VERP_CONFIRMATIONS it is

>From list-confirm+xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx... at ...

with

Subject: Your confirmation is required to ...

Of course, if the local part suffix is included in the length
restriction, this only makes it worse and can't be used.

> My
> list members don't use anything else and probably wouldn't know how
> anyway. In all the years these lists have been active, this is the
> first time someone had to change their email address so it is the
> first time a confirmation was needed. I was not aware this was going
> to be a major effort. Be aware that, although I am experienced with
> many various languages (scripting and otherwise), python is not among
> them.

Does the munging need to be done for all lists in the installation? Is
it done in the same way for each list? I.e. is list-request always
mapped to listreq or does the mapping vary depending on list. Can the
mapping be deduced programmatically, or would it have to be looked up in
a table?