[Mailman-Users] Incoming Mail not being processed?

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Wed Nov 19 01:05:27 CET 2008

jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu wrote:

> I am using Postfix and when I send a test to the mailman list, which I
> am a member of I can see it being sent in the maillog:
> Nov 18 17:39:42 lists postfix/smtp[3953]: DBFB98C0011:
> to=<jewel.brueggeman-makda at washburn.edu>,
> relay=ims.washburnlaw.edu[198.252.9.211]:25, delay=0.11,
> delays=0.03/0.02/0.05/0.01, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 Message accepted
> for delivery)

Okay, so look for more lines like this in your postfix log, specifically
you're looking for lines with a high value in the "delay=" field.

> Now where and what am I looking for in what log.  When I look at;
> /usr/local/mailman/logs/smtp I see stuff like:
> Nov 18 17:52:09 2008 (2062) <49235563.9020007 at washburn.edu> smtp to
> mailman for 1 recips, completed in 0.045 seconds

That just tells you how long it took for Mailman to hand off the message to
postfix.  If there was a significant delay internal to Mailman, it would
show up here.  But everything you've said so far indicates that the delays
you're seeing may not be internal to Mailman.  So, you need to look in the
MTA logs, too.

> Is this what I am suppose to be looking for?
>
> By the way, right now (probably because everyone's gone from work) mail
> is getting delivered within 5 minutes or less.  Yet during lunchtime it
> would be hours of a delay.

Maybe you are rate-limited by your ISP?  They only allow you to send so many
messages per hour, and with your mailing lists you easily exceed those
limits at lunchtime?

That's a question you'll need to take to your ISP and have them answer for you.