[Mailman-Users] Can't change host name preference

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 3 16:46:17 CEST 2009

Mike Flaherty wrote:
>I am trying to set up Mailman on a new domain.  I have done it in the past without issue, but now I have a really bizzare problem.
>When I go to the "MYLIST mailing list administration General Options Section" page, I notice the following entry preloaded in the "Host name this list prefers for email" field...
>I have NO IDEA where this is coming from.  It is not my domain, so I replace it with my own.

It comes from the add_virtualhost() entry for the domain. There should
be an

add_virtualhost('web_domain', 'email_domain')

line in mm_cfg.py. Then if you create the list from the web interface
with a URL whose host name is 'web_domain', the list will be created
with host_name = 'email_domain'.

Likewise if you create the list with bin/newlist -u 'web_domain'

>However, when I click the "Submit your changes" button, it goes to an invalid page.

You mean a 404? If so, the list's web_page_url is also messed up.

When I try again, I notice that when I hover over the button, the URL
that it translates to incorporates that "syd.xobas.net" domain into
the URL.

Huh? The button is a submit action for a form. Are you saying the POST
action URL has host "syd.xobas.net"? If so, my best guess is that that
is the value of DEFAULT_URL_HOST and DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST in your

>I looked all over my server (a vps running CentOS 5) for where that entry might be coming from.  I did find an occurance of it in
>But I don't know how it got there.  Where is the proper place to replace that domain with my own?

In mm_cfg.py

DEFAULT_URL_HOST = 'your_web_domain'
DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'your_email_domain'

plus add_virtualhost() lines for any additional domains.

Then run fix_url to fix the existing list, e.g.

  bin/withlist -l -a -r fix_url