[Mailman-Users] [-0.5] Re: Soft bounces....

Charles Gregory cgregory at hwcn.org
Fri Apr 3 16:34:54 CEST 2009

On Fri, 3 Apr 2009, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> If you're getting "bounces" like "message undeliverable after 4 hours;
> will keep trying until message is 5 days old" Mailman should be
> ignoring those.

I apologize for not thinking through the fact that a 4xx would have to
continue for 4 hours before mailman ever heard about it, but now you are
saying that notice is ignored. So, I seem to have misunderstood the docs.
I thought '4xx' errors (when they get back to mailman) were 'soft', so
if 'message undeliverable for 4 hours' doesn't count, then what
messages does mailman treat as a 'soft' bounce and only score 0.5?

> If it isn't, send me a complete, raw copy of the DSN,
> and I'll fix it and tell you how to fix yours.

I'm not working on DSN's, I'm fighting with yahoo over large numbers of
stupid, needless 4xx delays in my mail logs (and log reports). There
aren't very many things in their generic 'explanations' that seem to
apply. So I'm trying to cut down on our system attempting to send mail to
5xx recipients at Yahoo.

Further to this topic, another suggestion from Yahoo would be to use
different IP addresses for different classes of mail. Short of running the
mail on a separate server, I was thinking I might try running a separate
instance of postfix to send mail from a separate IP. But then how would I
tell mailman to use *that* instance of postfix?

- Charles