[Mailman-Users] mailman with mysql/maildrop

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri Apr 10 06:09:08 CEST 2009

Jonathan Nichols wrote:

>Greetings!
>	I must preface this by noting that I have in fact Googled for this
>but have not found any solutions that work. I have an Ubuntu box
>(Hardy) and have a mysql/postfix setup as documented in the Flurdy
>howto found at http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/ ... but I also have
>maildrop in the mix. It seems to work ok, except with mailman. I added
>mailman last night and now I'm getting the following error when I try
>to send to list addresses.
>
>status=bounced (user unknown. Command output: ERR: authdaemon:
>s_connect() failed: Permission denied Invalid user specified. )
>
>Now, I realize what the error is telling me. It's having problems
>finding the user. I have the users in a mysql db, and the structure
>looks like the following:
>
>http://www.pbp.net/~jnichols/images/sql_output.png
>
>Should I put something for the mailman addresses in there as well?

No. I don't think so.

>can do that, since I don't have that many lists.
>If not, is there another way around this? I did try just telling
>postfix to look at another transport map, but maildrop is still
>involved and it's looking at the mysql db.

I'm not sure about the maildrop aspect of it, but I *think* you can
just define mailman's aliases as a hash: in alias_maps. See
<http://mailman.sourceforge.net/mailman-install/node13.html> or
<http://www.list.org/mailman-install/node13.html> for info on
configuring Mailman/Postfix integration.

Mailman's aliases deliver via a pipe to Mailman's mail wrapper which
queues the messages appropriately for Mailman.