[Mailman-Users] MMDSR Question

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Feb 15 17:51:42 CET 2009

Jeff Grossman wrote:

>I know the mmdsr program is an unsupported application, but I am hoping
>somebody here can help me out.  I have not been able to find any answers
>via Google or the mailing list archives.  I have set up all of the
>parameters, but the program never finishes running.  When I run it from
>the command line, it never returns the command line, just continues
>running forever.  Any help would be appreciated.  I am running this on
>an OS X 10.3.9 machine.  The temp file that it creates gets as far as:
>

>Message held -- Post by non-member (by list):
>
>------------------------------
>

>Message held -- Suspicious header (by list):
>
>------------------------------
>

>Discarded posting (by list):
>
>------------------------------
>

>Bulk/Junk message discarded (by list):
>
>------------------------------
>

>Implicit destination (by list):
>
>------------------------------
>

>Post to moderated newsgroup (by list):
>
>------------------------------
>

>Post to moderated list (by list):
>
>------------------------------
>

>Other Errors:
>
>------------------------------

This says that the script has gotten to this point and has gotten
almost to the end of the 'for' loop because the stuff above is for the
'vette' log which is the last log in $ERR_LOGS.

echo "******************************" >> $TMP
echo "Log File Squawks" >> $TMP
echo "******************************" >> $TMP
echo "" >> $TMP

for LOG in $ERR_LOGS
do

So it seems to be hung on the

	    $EGREP -vi '(Post by non-member|suspicious header|message
approved|Discarded posting|bulk message discarded|junk message
discarded|Message has implicit destination|Posting to a moderated
newsgroup|Post to moderated list|Message discarded, msgid)' $TMPLOG |
$SED -e 's/^.* ([0-9]*) //' -e 's/, message-id=<[^> ]*>:/:/' | $SORT |
$UNIQ -c | $SORT -nr >> $TMP

command which is the next thing after

	    echo "" >> $TMP
	    echo "Other Errors:" >> $TMP
	    echo "------------------------------" >> $TMP

since if it got past that egrep, that's the end of the for loop, and
the next thing is

echo "******************************" >> $TMP
echo "Queue Directory Contents" >> $TMP
echo "******************************" >> $TMP
echo "" >> $TMP

and you don't see that.

You could confirm this by putting

echo "Before EGREP"

and

echo "After EGREP"

around that egrep command and running the script manually. If it is the
egrep, this will display "Before EGREP" but not "After EGREP". If it
displays both, then the problem is that for some reasen, the

for LOG in $ERR_LOGS

is not terminating.