[Mailman-Users] Garbled headers - was: gmail marks mailman confirmation mail as spam...

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Sun Jun 14 19:12:22 CEST 2009

Mark Sapiro wrote:

> The problem may be with the MUA that composed the mail or it may be with
> Mailman's adding the subject_prefix. I think I'd need to see the raw
> message as sent to the list to know for sure.

Kārlis forwarded an email to me off list. It's salient feature is the
subject header

Subject: skatamies, cik ilgi google =?utf-8?q?m=C4=93=C4=A3ina?=
=?utf-8?q?_nog=C4=81d=C4=81t?=, kad nevar...

which is wrapped here but was all one line in the original. I have
verified that there is a problem in the underlying Python email package
with headers containing multiple RFC 2047 encoded words whether or not
they are separated by non-encoded text.

It appears the only the first encoded word is properly decoded resulting
 in garbled headers in the archive and digests and in messages too if
the subject is prefixed. I will follow up when I know more.