[Mailman-Users] Mailman Config problems

Grant Taylor gtaylor at riverviewtech.net
Sun Mar 8 11:05:30 CET 2009

On 3/6/2009 8:24 PM, Mark Sapiro wrote:
> You need to have a web server that has access to the Mailman
> installation either directly or via something like NFS, but as Adam
> suggests, this does not have to be the same web server that is
> visible to the outside world.

If you would like some help configuring either Apache or Squid as a
reverse proxy, just ask and I'll be happy to help.

> As far as mail from Mailman (outgoing) is concerned, you can specify
> any SMTP server via the SMTPHOST and SMTPPORT settings in mm_cfg.py.
>  For mail to Mailman (incoming) it helps to have an MTA on the Mailman
> machine, but this can get Mailman's mail via relay from another MX or
> via something like fetchmail.

Using (something like) fetchmail will work, however there will be a
delay in between fetching cycles.  I would recommend that you have an
actual SMTP server running on the Mailman system.

As far as routing email to Mailman you can still have your MX records go
to your email server which can then relay the email over to the Mailman
server.  This way the Mailman server can be completely internal and not
have any thing directly exposed to the internet.  In fact, if both the
reverse proxying and SMTP relaying are used, about the only thing that
would have to be exposed is the Mailman admin pages, which are passing
through a proxy, thus it will be very hard to attack.

Grant. . . .