[Mailman-Users] Shunt Queue and Mailman logging

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Tue Mar 10 19:48:14 CET 2009

Jeff Bernier wrote:

>I did however, notice that after I change permissions (I'm doing this from a Windows SCP tool), my changes don't appear to "stick". I'm logging in as root.
>
>Should I be changing permissions another way?
>What should be the file and directory permissions in the Archives structure?

The archives/private and archives/public directories should be either

drwxrws--x 16 root mailman 4096 Jan 18 08:27 private
drwxrwsr-x  2 root mailman 4096 Dec  3 13:08 public

or

drwxrws--- 16 xxxx mailman 4096 Jan 18 08:27 private
drwxrwsr-x  2 root mailman 4096 Dec  3 13:08 public

Where xxxx is the web server user. I.e. archives/private must be
searchable by the web server for public archives to be accessible.
Other than xxx in case 2 above, owner doesn't matter, but group should
be Mailman's group.

The contents of archives/public are all symlinks.

within archives/private, everything should be Mailman's group, all
directories should be 'drwxrwsr-x' and all files should be
'-rw-rw-r--' with the exception that pipermail.pck, database and
database/* do not have 'other' permissions.

As far as permissions not sticking, there are some things about this
with Mac OS X in the archives of this list. See for example
<http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2004-July/037903.html>
and
<http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Amail.python.org++inurl%3Amailman-users+%22permission+denied%22+mac+os>,
although that may not be relevant for Mac OS X 10.5.4 as it is mostly
about older versions.