[Mailman-Users] Moving mailman to a new server.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Mar 19 05:20:15 CET 2009

Harold Pritchett wrote:

>This is strange.  Setting VIRTUAL_HOST_OVERVIEW works.  Running fix_url
>doesn't.  Here's the output of withlist -l -r fix_url test-l -v
>
>> [root at calserv bin]# ./withlist -l -r fix_url test-l -v
>> Importing fix_url...
>> Running fix_url.fix_url()...
>> Setting web_page_url to: http://calserv.calconnect.org/mailman/
>> Setting host_name to: calserv.calconnect.org
>> Saving list
>> Finalizing
>> [root at calserv bin]#
>
>and it still doesn't show up in the web list of lists...

>Here's the active part of my mm_cfg.py:
>
>> # Default to using the FQDN of machine mailman is running on.
>> # If this is not correct for your installation delete the following 5
>> # lines that acquire the FQDN and manually edit the hosts instead.
>>
>> DEFAULT_URL_HOST   = 'xxx.yyy.org'
>> DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST = 'xxx.yyy.org'
>>
>> # Because we've overriden the virtual hosts above add_virtualhost
>> # MUST be called after they have been defined.
>>
>> VIRTUAL_HOSTS = {}

No No No !!!

VIRTUAL_HOSTS.clear()

Otherwise what happens is mm_cfg.VIRTUAL_HOSTS becomes this new, empty
dictionary, but

>> add_virtualhost(DEFAULT_URL_HOST, DEFAULT_EMAIL_HOST)

add_virtualhost() which was defined in Defaults.py adds to
Defaults.VIRTUAL_HOST and that is no longer the same as
mm_cfg.VIRTUAL_HOSTS.

>The linux "hostname" command returns the same name (xxx.yyy.org)
>
>Is there some way to actually display the names that mailman thinks
>are the host names and to dump the internal names within the lists?

bin/withlist LISTNAME
>>> from Mailman import mm_cfg
>>> mm_cfg.VIRTUAL_HOSTS
(display of dictionary)
>>> m.web_page_url
(display of list's web_page_url attribute)