[Mailman-Users] Changing the "<listname>-bounces" address

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Mon Mar 23 04:32:56 CET 2009

on 3/22/09 8:02 PM, Mark Sapiro said:

> If the issue would truly be resolved or at least mitigated by having
> the Sender: be LIST-admin at list.example.com instead of
> LIST-bounces at list.example.com, that's a really easy change that
> wouldn't have any unintended side effects.

One thing I would want to make sure of is that we don't make a forced
unilateral change.  Give people the option of changing which header is
used and how, but default to whatever the current behaviour is.  Maybe
even hide it behind a site-wide setting that is turned off by default.

I filter all my mail by several different criteria, one of which is the
value of the Sender: header.  It would be a royal pain to be forced to
go in and change all my filters, just because the value of the Sender:
header changed with an upgrade.

As one of the guys who is primarily responsible for the mailing lists
used by thousands and thousands of people world-wide here on python.org,
I would be strongly opposed to doing any kind of upgrade that would
force that kind of behavior.  And it would be a real shame if we
couldn't eat our own dogfood with regards to Mailman.

--
Brad Knowles
<brad at shub-internet.org>        If you like Jazz/R&B guitar, check out