[Mailman-Users] Errors on mailman startup

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Fri May 29 19:48:53 CEST 2009

Dave Filchak wrote:

>Mark Sapiro wrote:
>>
>> Did you actually do the test described in the post at
>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044976.html>
>> (linked from the FAQ) as the Mailman user?
>>
>Yes. This test was fine.
>> Did you actually try to send mail as described in the post at
>> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/mailman-users/2005-May/044746.html>
>> (linked from the FAQ) as the Mailman user?
>>
>This worked as well although, as I mention below, I am not logged in a
>mailman as mailman has no login shell and no password. Do I need to
>create one for mailman and try it again?
>> If you did those as the Mailman user and they didn't show any error,
>> then I can't explain why it fails when OutgoingRunner does the exact
>> same thing.
>>

>Did not do them as the mailman user but as another user (not root). User
>mailman has no login shell (/sbin/nologin) Should mailman need a login
>shell and passwd? It never has before and mailman was working. Again,
>there was a UPS failure at my ISP and the servers lost power abruptly so
>something might have happened then. But everything else is working,
>including regular mail.

No. Mailman doesn't need a login shell or a password. You should be
able to do, e.g.

sudo -u mailman /bin/bash

in order to get a command shell running as mailman or

sudo -u mailman python

to get a python interpreter.

It seems there is a permissions issue somewhere that is preventing
mailman from accessing something. Make sure /etc/hosts and
/etc/resolve.conf are world readable. If that isn't it, try to narrow
it down by running the tests as mailman using sudo as above.