[Mailman-Users] A modest proposal: Reply-To munging considered *carefully*

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Mon Oct 12 21:40:20 CEST 2009

Barry Warsaw writes:

 > [Your original message probably didn't make it to mailman-developers
 > since it was spelled "mailman-devel at python.org" -BAW]

Thanks.

 > In general, I like Stephen's proposal as a way to help reduce the
 > ambiguity in this very common workflow.  I'll bikeshed on this detail:
 > I think the header should be called Response-Precedence or maybe List-
 > Response-Precedence.

Fine with me, either way.  I waffled on the name anyway.

 > The 'List-*' prefix is evocative of RFC 2369 and since this is a list
 > specific header, it should probably be prefixed as such.

It's not just list-specific, it's specifically for the use of lists,
not users.  As such it seems reasonable to me that it would be
prefixed "List-".

 > As for going the RFC route, I think it's not a bad idea, but I have no
 > idea how much work is involved.  ;)

For anything related to Reply-To/Mail-Followup-To, it's probably a
pretty long road.  I wouldn't mind having an RFC in my cv, though.
(It is *not* going to List Domain Signing Policy, though, that can of
worms I'll feed to the fish.)