[Mailman-Users] message bounce from good addresses

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Thu Oct 22 02:46:54 CEST 2009

Rik Pierce wrote:

>We have received some recent bounces from your address. Your current *bounce
>score* is 1.0 out of a maximum of 5.0. Please double check that your
>subscribed address is correct and that there are no problems with delivery
>to this address. Your bounce score will be automatically reset if the
>problems are corrected soon.
>
>This appears with email addresses I know are good. Addresses on the Members
>list that do work. I do not know what to do.

You have three choices:

Assuming bounce_notify_owner_on_disable is set to yes for the list, you
can

1) wait until the user's score reaches threshold (which it may never do
depending on post frequency and bounce_info_stale_after) or

2) reset all bouncing users (see
<http://www.msapiro.net/scripts/reset_bounce.py>) and set threshold to
1 so the first subsequent bounce results in a disable.

The disable will send you a notice with the bounce message attached so
you can see why the users are bouncing. You may be able to get this
info from your MTA logs without doing the above if the bounces are
rejects of your attempted deliveries at your outgoing SMTP time.

or 3) temporarily change the notices-bounces alias to deliver to a
person so you can see the bounce messages.

Once you know why the recipient's server is bouncing the mail, you'll
have a better idea how to proceed.