[Mailman-Users] Error message on upgrade

dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us
Mon Oct 26 20:24:22 CET 2009

Quoting Mark Sapiro <mark at msapiro.net>:

> dhottinger at harrisonburg.k12.va.us wrote:
>> I upgraded our version of mailman from 2.0.x to the newest release of
>> 2.1.12rc2 using ./configure --prefix=/var/mailman
>> --with-cgi-gid=apache --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.4.  I started
>> mailman using the mailmanctl script.  As soon as I did, I started
>> getting the following error from the qrunner:
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>   File "/var/mailman/cron/qrunner", line 89, in ?
>>     from Mailman.Handlers import HandlerAPI
>>   File "/var/mailman/Mailman/Handlers/HandlerAPI.py", line 26, in ?
>>     from Mailman.pythonlib.StringIO import StringIO
>> ImportError: No module named pythonlib.StringIO.
> The latest official release is 2.1.12, not 2.1.12rc2. There was at
> least one significant bug fix between rc2 and the final.
> As far as the above error is concerned, qrunners are no longer run by
> cron in mailman 2.1.x. cron is running /var/mailman/cron/qrunner which
> is from 2.0 and clearly won't work. You need to update Mailman's
> crontab to run the 2.1 cron jobs only.
> Actually, your 2.1.12rc1 Mailman is probably working fine. It's just
> that
> /var/mailman/cron/qrunner should be removed and the entry that runs it
> removed from Mailman's crontab.
> --

Thanks for the reply.  I ran mailmanctl and was still getting the same
error.  I'll try recompiling again with 2.1.12.  Does the cron
directory not get replaced when running make install?

Dwayne Hottinger
Network Administrator
Harrisonburg City Public Schools

-- Albert Einstein

"The hottest places in Hell are reserved for those who, in times of moral
crisis, preserved their neutrality."
-- Dante